If I walked up to 1000 normal, sane people and asked each and every one of them if they wanted to be ultra-successful, it’s a good bet the vast majority of them would answer “Yes”.
Yet most of these people wouldn’t take the necessary steps to become successful.
Whether lazyness, not believing they’re good enough, or merely not knowing where to start, being super successful isn’t easy to obtain because it’s not something we learn in school. But fear not—because I’ve got 10 golden tips on how to become successful.
How’d I come up with these tips? Easy—I did the research. And the majority of these nuggets of wisdom come directly from the mouths of the most successful people in the world…
…folks like Warren Buffett, Donald Trump, and Rosalia Mera (recently deceased, she was the richest self-made woman in the entire world).
Although I can’t personally guarantee your success, it’s safe to say you’ll have a much higher chance of being majorly successful if you adopt these principals into your life.
So without further hesitation, here are the ten things you must do to become ultra-successful:
1. Define What Success Means to You: There isn’t a set definition for success—it’s for you to decide. What would make you happy? A career you love? Never having to worry about money again? Being able to send your children to any college, no matter the cost of tuition?
The answer is whatever your heart is telling you. Listen to it.
2. Find Your Purpose: Wouldn’t you much rather be doing something you love? If so, you’re certainly not alone. Because when you do what you love for work, it’s really not work—you’re getting paid to do something you enjoy doing, and life is good!
Also, many people turn their hobby into a career, whether it’s fashion, cooking, or even baseball card collecting.
And if a specific job doesn’t come to mind, it may be fruitful for you to speak with a career coach, or to read the book What Color Is Your Parachute?—it’s a book that guides you toward the career you’re meant for.
In the words of Oprah, “You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job and not be paid for it.”
3. Identify What You Must Do to Achieve Your Goal: Let’s say you want to be a famous comedian, but you don’t know where to start? First you must find out the steps one must take to be successful in such a field.
If you did some research, you would soon realize some essential steps toward being a comedian would be to take a comedy improv class, to study the best comedians, and to have a notebook to write down any funny jokes or observations you think of.
4. Create a Plan and Set a Timeline: It’s great to have a goal in mind, but to maximize the odds of achieving it, having a strategy is essential. Outline your goals on a piece of paper and create a realistic timeline as to when you would like to achieve each goal.
Also, make certain to list multiple goals, even if some appear small. I say this because when you achieve a goal—no matter how little—you have a chance to celebrate, regroup, and move onto the next goal, freshly inspired from your recent achievement.
5. Envision Being Successful: “The imagination is more important than knowledge.”
You know who said that? Albert Freaking Einstein, that’s who! And he’s onto something—whether you use affirmations (positive suggestions you tell yourself) or you visualize success, using these tools will bring about a positive mindset and a can-do attitude.
Try it. I promise it’s fun. “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
6. Stay Away From Distractions: Avoid ANYTHING that will slow or keep you from being successful. This includes whatever may hinder you—whether alcohol, drugs, video games, or lazy/overly-negative people who whether consciously or subconsciously, hinder you from success.
Also, make certain you remove all excuses and negative thoughts from your life. It’s true—life isn’t fair—but wallowing in a stagnant pond of self-pity won’t get you anywhere.
Instead, be thankful for the good things in your life, dust yourself off, think positive thoughts and work toward your goals.
7. Surround Yourself With Successful People: This may not seem important, but it’s a huge help. And if you hang around people who are currently doing what you want to do, ALL THE BETTER.
And when you spend time with successful people, their go-getter way of life will motivate you. These people are a valuable resource—they were once where you now stand and they’re currently where you want to someday be.
If you admire a specific successful person, ask them to be your mentor. Chances are, they’ll be flattered, and they’ll be more than willing to offer you their knowledge.
Example: Let’s say you want to brew beer for a living; if you surround yourself with successful beer brewers, you’re going to learn a lot—from the dedication that’s needed to be successful to knowing what it takes to succeed in the business.
Also, the advice these people will offer you—especially if you have a problem that needs a solution—will greatly increase your chances of success.
8. Don’t Be Passive: A lot of people wait for a great opportunity to fall into their lap—and unfortunately for them—that day never comes.
Leonardo da Vinci had it right when he said: “It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.”
It’s up to you to find opportunity. Jump out of your comfort zone, get informed, meet new people, and if you make a mistake, be certain you learn from it.
9. Become a Problem Solver: Learning how to solve problems will provide great opportunity. You not only help others with their problem, but there’s a chance for great financial gain, as well.
Is there a need that’s not being addressed (or can be improved on)? If so, provide a solution and chances are there will be people willing to pay for that fix or solution.
10. Never, Ever Give Up!: Even the richest, most successful people have endured failure. But they didn’t let failure stop them. Odds are, no matter what your dream is, you’re going to deal with failures along the way.
If you give up when you experience failure, you’ll never succeed. But if you learn from your failures and continue toward success, you will eventually succeed.
In the words of Henry Ford, “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” Simple as that!
I hope you find my article to be useful and I hope it helps inspire you to be successful. If you enjoyed reading how to become successful in life, please share your thoughts by commenting below.